Overseeding is when you add more grass seed to the lawn without turning the soil. It is crucial for healthy lawn growth and can significantly impact the final look of your garden or lawn. Not sure how to overseed a lawn or why it’s important? Here’s why you might want to consider overseeding your lawn this season:
- It Helps remove an unwanted or unsuitable grass type on your lawn.
- It can fight against bare or brown patches in the ground.
- It helps warm season grass grow better throughout the year.
- Overseeding helps save the lawn from weeds and keeps it healthy.
- Overseeding reduces chemical use, providing a cost-effective, environmentally-friendly option for lawn health.
- Revive your lawn.
- The overseeded lawns have stronger roots, increasing the lawn strength.
When should you Overseed your Lawn?
The first thing to remember when learning how to overseed your lawn is that it is subjective. It depends on the type of grass you want to seed, the location of your lawn, and the care you provide. Thus, it’s crucial to choose carefully.
However, the best way to reseed your lawn is to plant them during the autumn season because it gives the seeds sufficient time to germinate. It helps establish stronger roots, preparing the lawn for the upcoming winter.
Steps To Overseeding a Lawn or Reseed it
To overseed a lawn or reseed it, lawn owners must practice the following steps:
- Mow the lawn and cut it short to an inch by setting it to the lowest setting.
- Rake the lawn to remove any existing debris, rubbish, or other lawn-destroying elements.
- Add a thin layer of soil (15 cm approx) for improved drainage and healthy ground.
- Start by using the same seeds present on your lawn. It is the most crucial to reseeding lawn steps.
- Lightly rake the grass right after seeding to help the seeds settle.
- Apply fertilizer to the lawn suitable for new grass.
- Water the lawn regularly using a sprinkler. There are two things to keep in mind while watering new grass seeds – how often & how much to water new seeds and how often. You should avoid watering them too often during winter.
Note: Phosphoric fertilizers can be an excellent choice to allow new grass to grow and give the new seeds the required nutrients for germination and growth.
Overseeding and reseeding lawns can be easy, especially if you have the right guidance. You can easily use the steps we mentioned to reseed or overseed your lawn. Remember, there’s a slight difference between overseeding vs reseeding your lawn, so consider both of them accordingly.
If you are still worried about Lawn Care Alpharetta, feel free to contact us. We’ll help you reseed and overseed your lawn.